Dear Reader

Random musings on reading and books from a librarian in training.


Wednesday, May 28, 2008

twilight


Since May is Vampires month, I thought I'd my part by reading by twilight by Stephenie Meyer. ;-) It's the first book in her series that's geared towards young adults. I thought this was a good start to her series - parts of it felt like it was building the foundation by introducing the characters and their back stories. I know this is technically a young adult book, but I thought it was rich and a surprisingly dense read. I really liked the characters, but the one thing that irritated me is how quickly the main characters fall in love.

Once I started reading, I was definitely hooked. I found myself skimming ahead, because I really wanted to know what happened next.

In a nutshell, Bella moves to a small town in Washington to live with her father. She meets Edward and falls in love. The hitch - Edward is a vampire.

About three things I was absolutely positive.
First Edward was a vampire.
Second, there was a part of him - and I didn't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my blood.
And third, I was unconditionally, and irrevocably in love with him.

I find interesting how vampire mythology really varies from author to author. For instance, in twilight, vampires can go outside during the day time, rather than burning in the sun, they sparkle almost irresistibly. They do prefer to go out in overcast/ rainy weather so at not attract attention. Meyer's vampires also don't need to sleep or breathe and are virtually indestructible. In contrast, in the Sookie Stackhouse series and other books like Tanya Huff's, vampires sleep during the day/ or spend the daylight hours in a suspended state, not alert/wake/alive. Charlaine Harris' vampires will burn and can die if they go out in the sunlight.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/index.html

No comments:

Subscribe Now!