Dear Reader

Random musings on reading and books from a librarian in training.


Tuesday, May 20, 2008

From Dead to Worse


Confession time: I love the Sookie Stackhouse series. They fall in the rare category of books that I will not only buy in hard cover, but faithfully pre-order on Amazon. It's really hard to describe, they’re a combination of fantasy, mystery, supernatural. Sookie is a telepathic bar maid living in a world occupied by werewolves, shape shifters and vampires. Only vampires have come out so to speak and have formed an uneasy relationship with humans.

I enjoyed the latest installment - From Dead to Worse. However, I didn't feel like it was the strongest book in the series. While the books have become longer and more complex as the series progresses, they've also become more unfocused. With the latest offering, it seem like Harris tried to cram too much in – strife within the vampire and werewolf communities, family issues, a roommate struggling with her relationship with her father and the fact she turned her boyfriend into a cat by accident, etc.

Phew. It just seemed a little too scattered.

That said, it was a fun read and I just love immersing myself in Sookie’s world. I can already anticipate what the next book might tackle.

No comments:

Subscribe Now!