Dear Reader

Random musings on reading and books from a librarian in training.


Tuesday, May 20, 2008

May is for vampires?!




I’ve been meaning to post about this for awhile because I think its fun.

First Second, which specializes in graphic novels, has declared May Vampire Month.

Amazon: Vampires? In May? Why, First Second, You Are a Cheeky Publisher, Aren't You? - http://www.omnivoracious.com/2008/05/vampires-in-may.html

First Second’s blog: http://www.firstsecondbooks.typepad.com/mainblog/

There are many novels featuring vampires starting with Bram Stoker’s Dracula all the way up to Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake series.

First Second publishes Little Vampire and Life Sucks. Both are vampire-themed graphic novels. (I’m eagerly awaiting both from the library.)

There must be something in the air or this idea is really catching on because the Seattle Public Library’s blog is doing a series of posts on vampire fiction.

The Vampire List, Part 1: Love Bites - http://shelftalk.spl.org/2008/05/14/the-vampire-list-part-1-love-bites/

I noticed another reader pointed out the absence of Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse books; apparently they’ll be included in later posts. Regular readers are aware I’m a big Charlaine Harris fan.

Update: Shelf Talk's has another vampire post -

http://shelftalk.spl.org/2008/05/21/the-vampire-list-part-2-urban-vamps/

I tried reading the Turning and just couldn't seem to get into it.

Some other vampire reading I’ve enjoyed includes Anita Blake – although I have to admit I lost steam. The earlier books are better. There are many fans who think this series went off the rails.

Mary Janice Davidson, who’s mentioned in Shelf Talk’s list. The first book in this series is Undead and Unwed. I really like these novels. It’s sort of like vampire chick lit. They’re fun, quick reads.

Another series I enjoy is Tanya Huff’s Blood Ties series that revolve around Vicki Nelson, who becomes a private detective after a degenerative eye disease forces her to retire. I would definitely check out Lifetime’s Blood Ties series. I think this really captures the essence of the books, but also stands on their own.

Ack! I didn’t realize this might not be coming back on the air. Really Lifetime you have a great show and you don’t renew it. Grhh. If anyone has positive news to share on this, please do so.

(Side note: Dear Lifetime, I’m watching you! Do NOT mess with my beloved Project Runway. Just DON’T).

********

Speaking of vampires – Stephenie Meyer is currently making the rounds for her latest novel, Host. Meyer is best known for her Twilight series – a vampire series geared towards young adults.

Stephenie Meyer By the Numbers - http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6559505.html?q=Stephenie+Meyer+

Meyer is also featured in Book Page, “Words to live by: there are no children’s books or adult books – there are only good books & bad boos. Everyone should read the good ones.”

Amen!

No comments:

Subscribe Now!