Dear Reader

Random musings on reading and books from a librarian in training.


Sunday, April 13, 2008

April is for poetry

This month is poetry month. It was established in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets. According to its Web site, poetry month was started to:

  • Highlight the extraordinary legacy and ongoing achievement of American poets
  • Introduce more Americans to the pleasures of reading poetry
  • Bring poets and poetry to the public in immediate and innovative ways
  • Make poetry a more important part of the school curriculum
  • Increase the attention paid to poetry by national and local media
  • Encourage increased publication, distribution, and sales of poetry books
  • Increase public and private philanthropic support for poets and poetry

I have my eye on these poetry books for my nieces and nephews – Because I Could Not Stop My Bike, I Must Go Down to the Beach Again by Karen Jo Shapiro. The poems are parodies of famous poems but with in a children-friendly style. Cute stuff and the author was originally from Andover, Mass.

Keep your eyes peeled. I’ll try to post several poems this month. If you have a favorite poem, mention it in the comments and I’ll post it.

http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/47

No comments:

Subscribe Now!