Dear Reader

Random musings on reading and books from a librarian in training.


Monday, March 24, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things…

A few months ago, a coworker introduced me to Good Reads (http://www.goodreads.com/). It’s a simple, but elegant idea. You post books that you’ve read, rate them and review them. Books are sorted into three categories – books you’ve read, you’re reading and want to read.

Like Facebook, you can create a network of friends. Your friends will receive updates when you post reviews or add books. It’s also possible to see reviews, most popular reviewed books or least popular.

From the site:

“And on this journey with your friends you can explore new territory, gather information, and expand your mind. / Knowledge is power; and power is best shared among friends.”

This is a great way to track what you’ve read and your impressions or look for new ideas for books. I’m trying to cut down on the number of books I buy, so I like being able to keep a list of books I want to read that I can use when looking at the library catalogue or paperbackswap.com.

You can also post books that you’d like to swap. Speaking of swapping – another favorite site is Paperback Swap (www.paperbackswap.com). Another great idea. Once you’re done with a book, if you don’t want to keep it, post it. If someone requests your book, you pay to mail it to them, earning a credit in the process. When you see a book you want, you request it, and someone pays to mail it to you.

I’m trying to be more selective about the books I keep. With Good Reads, I’m able to have a record of what I’ve read, so I’m less likely to hang onto books I wasn’t crazy about, but still remember them.

Paperback Swap’s wish list feature allows you to request books as soon as they’re posted in the site. The site has a number of user-friendly features – reviews, buddy lists, contests, etc. A feature I’ve just noticed is recommendations, which are based on what books I’ve swapped and what’s on my wish list.

If join either site, keep an eye out for me! I’m on both sites under my email address, lundy73ATgmail.com.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Subscribe Now!