Dear Reader

Random musings on reading and books from a librarian in training.


Thursday, March 27, 2008

Morsels


Browsing through my Google Reader, I stumbled on “Bookshelf Etiquette” on Paper Cuts. Jennifer Schuessler discusses a recent column that claimed: “It is unacceptable to display any book in a public space of your home if you have not read it.”

Judging from the number of comments this generated, this is a touchy subject. My current lack of bookshelves makes this moot for me, but WOW I’m torn. I tend to hoard books. When I had bookshelves, I felt like all those unread books were silently judging me. I also felt guilty that it's possible I would never read all the books I bought and that I had spent money on books merely to have them languish. Now, I have a few stacks of books out and the rest in boxes. It's a temporary solution.

http://papercuts.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/bookshelf-etiquette/

********************************

Time magazine has an interesting profile on Rita Mae Brown. She’s perhaps best known for her ground breaking work, Ruby Fruit Jungle. Published in 1973, Ruby Fruit Jungle is a lesbian, coming of age story. I’ve heard of Rita Mae Brown, but didn’t realize she’s a prolific murder mystery novelist and also apparently a big cat fan.

(I thought this t-shirt on Amazon was hilarious. I can’t imagine there’s too many authors with t-shirts like this!)

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1723482,00.html

No comments:

Subscribe Now!