Dear Reader

Random musings on reading and books from a librarian in training.


Monday, March 24, 2008

Real Murders


For my New Year's resolutions, I decided to make affirmative resolutions. One of them was two read two books per month. I'm running a little behind this month. I just finished book one for this month -- Real Murders by Charlaine Harris.

I discovered Harris when I happened to randomly pick up the first Sookie Stackhouse book at the library. This series really defies explanation -- paranormal/ romance/ mystery/ thriller. Sookie is a psychic working in a bar when she meets a vampire. Turns out vampires exist and they've announced their presence. Sounds weird, but these books are fun.

I just finished Real Murders by Harris. It had an interesting premise -- librarian Aurora "Roe" Teagarden is a member of the "real murders" club. They meet once a month to discuss famous murder cases. One night before a meeting, Teagarden discovers a club member murdered in a manner very similar to the real life murder they were about to discuss. Soon it appears that there is a murderer on the loose copying famous murders.

I hate to say it but this was not my favorite Harris book. There were too many characters and as a result I felt like the character development, which is something Harris usually shines at, was weak. There was a little much going on -- too many people, too many murders. I'm willing to give the new Teagarden book, A Bone to Pick, a chance because Harris very rarely disappoints. Hopefully it will be a stronger showing.

No comments:

Subscribe Now!