Dear Reader

Random musings on reading and books from a librarian in training.


Saturday, January 17, 2009

Wrinkle in Time -- Madeleine L'Engle


I hate to admit I've never read A Wrinkle in Time. It seems like one of those books everyone should read. I have to say I wish I had read it years ago.

Wrinkle in Time centers on Meg, her precocious brother, Charles Wallace, and their friend, Calvin, as they try to rescue her father. There's a lot packed in the book -- there's time traveling. The children's father had been working on a tesseract, which is a wrinkle in time. There's also an evil thing -- the black thing -- that is threatening earth and other planets. There's the battle of the individual versus the group/ freedom of thought.

Parts of the book reminded me of 1984 -- full disclosure it's been years since I've read it -- such as when they visit a planet where everyone acts identically.
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

1 comment:

Mona Sabalones Gonzalez said...

I loved "A Wrinkle in Time". It's one of my favorite books, and I always cry in the end. Not gonna tell youthe end, though. it might take away from your enjoyment:)

Subscribe Now!